Wednesday, July 14, 2010

For Sale: Water Tube


After purchasing three tubes from the Mountaineer less than 24 hours ago, I have discovered that tubing down the river is not for me.

Our friend Heather from Colorado was visiting and we thought it would be fun to float down the river to our house. We started our journey from the parking area on 9N between Upper Jay and Jay. Everything started off smoothly and I was loving life.


A little more than half a mile later down stream, I could tell my body wasn't liking the adventure. I had visions of myself grabbing onto the bridge foundation and holding on for dear life like Anne of Green Gables did before Gilbert rescued her.


No, the current wasn't strong and I was not in danger of drowning. This lazy river tubing adventure was carrying us at a rate of less than one mile an hour. You see, my body is fragile and I am prone to motion sickness. I have gotten sick while flat water kayaking on Mirror Lake. I thought I would be fine just floating down the river not exerting myself. However, I am a freak of nature.

Drew and Heather were perfectly happy drifting further and further down the river away from me.


Something happened 1 1/2 miles down. I vomited. Yes, that's right, I puked. It was a technicolor yawn. I tossed my cookies. Upchucked. Barfed. Threw up. Hurled. This projectile ralph happened in my beloved river.


I was still only about half way to our house and had no choice but to float and walk along the river banks while my husband and friend laughed at me during other bouts of vomiting. This unfortunately is something Drew has gotten used to over the years with me.

Finally we rounded the final river bend and came to the parking area less than a mile walk to our house. I exited the river and waved down a woman that I've seen often while running in the morning to give me a ride to the Covered Bridge to meet them.

Drew and Heather completed the three mile river journey. Drew ended it with a grand finale of sliding down the rapids just before the bridge. He obviously had no problems with his stomach.


So, if anyone else would like to give it a try, I know of one River Rat tube that won't be used anytime soon.

10 comments:

Drew Haas said...

The one and only. Never a dull day with you!

Laura Hooker said...

Oh Man, I have always wanted to do that, but being in the same sickness boat as you, I am glad to know how you felt. Hope you find a buyer for your raft. Sorry you got sick~Laura

April said...

Sorry to hear about your misadventure.

L said...

That.Is.Horrible.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try your raft, but I think I'll wait a few days for the water to clear up!! Julie

Martha said...

That looks like fun! (Not the puking, the tubing!)

elizabeth said...

You are amazing. This is hysterically funny. I think you were more Anne than Lady of Shallot in this instance.

Miriam said...

That's such a shame. Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

OK next time try less alcohol (or more)

Ruby's MOM said...

hahaha i love you bc there are still lots of pics despite the vomiting:)