Monday, May 4, 2009

3/50 Project and My Three

Surfing the internet today, I stumbled upon the 3/50 project and it piqued my interest.  I realize I might come across a little preachy with this post, but it really is so important to buy locally when you can. There are definite areas where I fail miserably at this and quite honestly our budget often leads us to big box stores and chain supermarkets.  

The premise behind Project 3/50 is if you pick 3 stores in your local community and spend $50, it will save your local economy. For every $100 spent in independently owned stores, $68 of it returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures.  If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays.  
In an effort to buy locally, my weekend starts tomorrow and instead of driving 3o minutes to Plattsburgh and going to Lowe's for paint, I'll go a quarter mile up the road and buy our rollers and paint at Ward Lumber.  
Not only is Ward Lumber the largest manufacturer of White Pine in New York State, but they generally have on hand what every other hardware store carries. Plus, they have gummy worms too.

I also need an oil change and get the snow tires off my car, so rather than making an appointment at Monroe Muffler, I'll be bringing my car to the friendly folks at Devin's Garage just a half mile up the road.

There is always one occasion that I seldom go to a chain store for and that would be for my Mother's Birthday/Mother's Day, just a couple days apart this year.  A gardener at heart, no matter the year, she always requests a trip to a greenhouse or nursery.  I look forward to these adventures with her every year and never know where in the North Country we are going to end up.  However, this year's choice is Flowering Meadow Nursery and is less than 3 miles up the road from where I live.  
Last year I was on the hunt for some shasta daisies for a friend's birthday and discovered the Nursery.  Not only did I find the daisies, but I came away with a running partner, cat sitter, and all around good friend.  For some reason I don't think I would have found that at Lowe's.  
I miss you E!

No comments: