Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jay Knitting Group

I first learned how to knit during the ice storm of 1998 when I was a sophomore in college. With no electricity and little to do once the wood was chopped, my mother pulled out her yarn supply and got me knitting my first hat. We sat around knitting in front of the fireplace and listened to the radio for days and when the power came back on, the hat was complete.

After finding out several friends are having babies in the spring, I got started on another hat. My mother was there to help me. A couple projects later, I began perfecting the art of the scarf. I received help from a gal on you tube. She was patient and never got upset when I'd have her show me how to cast off over and over and over again.

My current project is another hat and I'm still having problems working with different colors.


When I heard that a knitting group was starting in Jay, I got really excited that other ladies would be there to help me. No longer would I have to keep relying on visits from my mother and utilize the you tube lady.

The knitting group meets at the Alpaca Shoppe in Jay and knits in the waiting area of the Chiropractor's office. A woman I sat next to went to the knitting group last year with no knitting background and tonight, just one year later, showed up with a a nearly finished sweater. Seeing all these women knitting together was very inspiring and I couldn't believe that most of them were juggling a few different projects at the same time.

With 20% off on knitters night, the soft alpaca yarn was hard to resist.


After receiving some help on my hat, I caved and bought some more yarn and started the project presented that night, an Alpaca Boucle Scarf.


So there in the waiting room of the Chiropractor's office, I learned a new way of casting on and said good bye to the you tube lady and her sad looking dorm room.

2 comments:

Knitting Out Loud said...

I hope you will post a photo of your Alpaca Boucle scarf! Scarves and hats are perfect knitting projects, you don't have to worry about gauge.

eyeheartorange said...

Ahhh, the Ice Storm of '98. I've never eaten so many baked potatoes. That was wasted back in 1998 - I could use a good weather induced week off right about now!