Sunday, June 7, 2009

Unidentified Purple Object

For the last week or so I have noticed these purple objects hanging in trees.The first time I saw one I thought it was a kid's kite that was caught in the tree, but a few miles later there was another one.  I figured they were placed to kill off the black flies or something.  

After finally getting out of my car to take a picture of the purple structure, I discovered a little card on the base of the tree.  The card told me it was for the Emerald Ash Borer Survey.  I know all my readers will be surprised by this, but understanding the science of ecology is not a strength of mine.  My mind went, "Ash Borer what?"  

Thank goodness for the color purple and the word emerald in this survey that kept me interested.  Apparently, the beetles like the violet colors too and that is why these traps are constructed from purple plastic panels and then covered in insect glue.  

Here is a picture of the Emerald Ash Borer, the focus of the project.  
Without using any scientific jargon here, the Emerald Ash Borer looks shiny and pretty but I don't think we are supposed to like it.  They are a threat to various ash trees.  The pests can travel hundreds of miles by hitchhiking on firewood to new locations and destroy trees.  

In wrapping up my research on the Unidentified Purple Object, if you are going camping this summer, buy your firewood where you will be burning it and make sure it is local.



6 comments:

Martha said...

I was wondering about those and now I can stop! Thanks!

One of the ladies said...

Thanks for answering that question for me!!!

Anonymous said...

You are always on top of things! Thanks, it was puzzling me too.

Courtney said...

Wow! Thank you for clearing this up. I've noticed those on my running trail near my house, and always got a little fearful that it was some indication that drugs or gangs were nearby, which, not shockingly, made me feel a bit anxious about being solo out on that stretch of trail with a lot of trees on the side...good to know.

Anonymous said...

Allie and I had just seen one last night on the South Canton Road and were quite mystified about what it was. She was afraid it was a little kid's kite that was lost or a new kind of bird feeder. You are the best!

Beebie

Shannah stearns MA said...

Thank you! Mystery solved! (: