Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bottle Drop

Over the last four months, we have managed to save up a whopping 55 cents worth of bottles for redemption! I often get frustrated bringing bottles to the grocery store and having to wait behind a family that has collected 700 bottles or to have a sign on the machine saying, "Out of Order".  I won't even go into the smells that linger around those machines.

I am lucky enough to live in a town where there is a drop house or bin where you can donate your bottles and not have to deal with bottle redemption at the grocery store. The Holy Name School's bottle house is located on the corner of Rt. 86 and 9N at the bottom of the hill in Jay.
The bottle building is for bottle collection only!  There is a little sign on the side that says, "Those individuals caught disposing of trash in this collection box will be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law."  Since we donated our bottles here last time, I thought we'd spread the wealth and drop them off in Upper Jay.

At the Upper Jay Fire Department, there is a drop bin for Boy Scouts Troop 24 Ausable Valley.
I found this to be an excellent spot for dropping off our bottles.  There is ample parking here with nice mountain views just behind the bin.  Also, I found no long lines to wait in and the air was nice and fresh!

I must mention that I was at the grocery store this afternoon and was surprised to see no lines and three machines that were working!  Unbelievable!
I know that I missed out on 55 cents by not bringing my bottles to Price Chopper, but it I felt good giving to the Boy Scouts! 

2 comments:

TourPro said...

In the old days, much more beer was being filtered in our household. We could bring our recyclables to our kid's school, but I felt bad dropping a giant garbage bag full of empty beer bottles and saying Hi to the the principal.

Being "in the city", I could also just leave them out on the curb and they would be collected in short order.

Anonymous said...

The Boy Scouts certainly appreciate your donation! They use the money to help pay for summer camp and other activities.